High Holy Days Services
All About Our Services
Join us at Temple Kol Tikvah for our special 2016 / 5777 High Holy Days’ services and activities.
- Selichot: Reflect in a spiritual atmosphere filled with candlelight, meditation, and song. Many past participants say that this is the most spiritual service of the year. Join us for wine and cheese prior to the service.
- Rosh HaShanah: Mark the Joyous Celebration of our New Year and focus on the exciting changes that a new year brings. Our services are multi-faceted and include the melodious voice of our cantor, the inspiring words of our rabbis, the beautiful music of the choir, and the participation of our community.
- Erev Rosh HaShanah & Yom Kippur Youth Services: These services are geared for 3rd – 6th graders and their families. They include a taste of Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur featuring prayers, stories, and songs that teach the true meaning of these Holy Days.
- Rosh HaShanah & Yom Kippur Family Services: This service is geared for children 0-7 years of age and their families. Rock out during Family Services with Temple Kol Tikvah’s band Kolplay. Our Family High Holy Day Services are fun for the entire family. Hear stories, parade with the Torah, sing, dance, and celebrate.
- Second Day Rosh HaShanah Outdoor Hike with Tashlich: It’s the birthday of the world so
why not pray in the midst of nature? Trek outdoors with our clergy for a service amid the
beauty of God’s creations. On the hike, we will observe the Tashlich ritual. As part of our service, we will symbolically cast our shortcomings into a body of water, leaving ourselves strengthened for the future. The experience concludes with a shofar blast that will ring throughout nature.
- Shabbat Shuvah: Shabbat Shuvah (the Sabbath of Return) occurs between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur. On this Shabbat, we are reminded that we have drifted from our moral center and that it is time to return to acts of righteousness.
- Yom Kippur: On Rosh Hashanah, we joyously enter the New Year, and on Yom Kippur we think about the changes we need to make to improve not only ourselves but our relationships with our family, friends and community. Experience Yom Kippur at Kol Tikvah as we reflect on forgiveness and change. There will be special programming throughout the day creating a unique prayer experience. The day will conclude with Yizkor and Neilah followed by a community wide break fast.
- Sukkot: Celebrate this outdoor holiday by noshing in Kol Tikvah’s sukkah and by shaking the lulav and etrog in honor of the changing seasons.
- Sukkot Yizkor: Remember our loved ones who are no longer present on earth by coming together in prayer.
- Simchat Torah: Honor our Torahs by dancing with them in our sanctuary and hear the cantor chant the concluding verses of Deuteronomy and the first verses of Genesis. The newest Kol Tikvah students will be honored as part of the evening’s program.
We look forward to seeing you!